Jonty's Un-named NZ120 layout

• Jonty's Un-named NZ120 layout

Posted by Jonty on 3 June 2024 at 4:16 pm

Update thread for Jonty’s as-yet un-named NZ120 layout.

Modern image, no specific prototype location, 2400x1200mm modular layout with Peco code 55 track, Digitrax/Loconet control with iTrain computer interface, 3d Printed and kit-built stock.

• This discussion was modified 3 months ago by  Jonty.
    Jonty replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Jonty

3 June 2024 at 4:18 pm

Good to get some modelling done this long weekend and the week preceding it.

Got my JA shell modified to fit its Bachmann chassis, time for some finer details such as brass wire handrails, refitting and wiring the headlight and getting the tender rolling, will need to find wheelsets with axles a bit wider than what I’ve got. ESU decoder on its way.

DXR got a couple more coats of yellow on Saturday, nearly ready for grey and red if we get a day appropriate for painting then on to handrails and details. Chassis acquired and modified to fit (it’s a tight fit!) with an ESU decoder on its way. Need to plan lighting

Minor work on the DC prepping for finishing, need to raise the shell a bit to clear the rails. Undecided whether it will keep its Digitrax decoder or get an ESU drop in decoder. Lighting is set up ready to install, have SMD LEDs attached to plastic fibre optic tubes to fit inside the headlight holes

Hoping for a nice day soon to get painting and clear coating done before winter sets in

• Bryan

24 June 2024 at 7:53 pm

Can you describe your SMD LEDs? Temo sell pre-wired ones of various sizes… Could they be used as step lights?

• Jonty

10 July 2024 at 7:11 pm

Hey Bryan, just saw your comment, I’ve got a couple of different sizes that I am still experimenting a bit with, I have 0603 and 0402 size SMD LEDs, in both Cool White and Warm White depending on the application, and I’ll likely get them for signalling as well at some point. There is an NZ retailer JT Electronics that sells them on trade me https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?member_listing=246224 as a local option, I got some from there and some from ali express

• Lewis

3 June 2024 at 4:26 pm

Very nice! Did the J come with a headlight?

• Jonty

3 June 2024 at 4:29 pm

It did, but it’s come off. The joy of the brittle Shapeways shells. However, it’s much easier to fit an LED with it detached, it will be refitted soon when ready for paint

• Lewis

3 June 2024 at 4:37 pm

Ah yes, good old Shapeways…

• Jonty

3 June 2024 at 4:27 pm

Locomotive Roster:
    DFT7036 (Shapeways shell, Kato SD40-2 chassis, Digitrax decoder)
    DSG3251 (Shapeways shell, Atlas RS2 chassis, Digitrax decoder)
    DC4951 (3ft6 shell, Atlas chassis)
    DXR8022 (3ft6 shell, Kato SD40-2 chassis, ESU decoder)
    DJ1227 (Shapeways shell, Lifelike Chassis but needs a rework, Digitrax decoder). Will have a dummy companion loco
    JA1240 (3ft6 shell, Bachmann Light Mountain chassis, ESU decoder)
    RM121 (Trackgang kit in progress, Atlas butchered chassis, Digitrax decoder)

• Jonty

3 June 2024 at 4:47 pm

*JA is a shapeways shell